
Having not grown up on the coast, I don't really remember hurricanes being that big of a deal. When I was in the 4th grade, Hurricane Hugo came through SC and I remember being out of school for a few days and thought that was cool. A tree fell on my grandmother's garage...but that was the extent of the damage that I was personally affected by.
The first year I moved to the Hill was the fall of 2004. The most active year for hurricanes in the recent years. It was CRAZY! Every other week another hurricane was "heading this way." At some point along each trek the weather forecasters would predict us for a "direct hit" and at some point...the storm would turn at the last minute and miss us. A little bit scary...a little exciting.
The season is exciting because it gives us something new to talk about at work...my boss prints out the latest maps and posts them in our reception area. We all gather around and talk about what we've heard about the storm. We'll stock up on gas and canned goods and bottled water...all the while knowing how silly that is because if a hurricane actually does come...we'll all have to evacuate. Well...most of us....will evacuate. My crazy husband says he'll stay and "ride the storm" out. I however, will take Daisy, and be hightailing it for my parents house...many miles inland.
So right now...I am thankful that with this storm...we're only supposed to get rain...and we're safe...atleast until the next one...

No comments:
Post a Comment