Monday, December 06, 2010

It's Christmas Time!

This past weekend, our town kicked off their holiday activities with the annual Christmas parade. Since Brad is on the Chamber of Commerce, we were "volunteered" to ride on the Chamber float in the parade. The morning was cold...but quickly warmed up...but it gave me an excuse to buy Jack a cute red fleece jacket for the festivities (see picture below).

Unfortunately the parade was right in the middle of his mid-day naptime. We had to get to the float about an hour before the parade actually started, so I had hoped he would nap some and be happy for the actual parade. This was not to be...he was fussy for most of the pre-parade festitives and finally passed out just as our float was getting to the main part of town and woke up just as it was ending!



Oh well! Next year we will enjoy it from the comfort of our own camping chairs with hot chocolate! I have quickly learned that with a baby...things rarely go according to plan!

We are really enjoying this holiday season with Jack. I know he is still young...but I am excited to start some new traditions with our little family. It seems so a daunting task with the world these days to keep childrens (and our) focus on the real celebration at Christmas. In a society where Santa and his reindeer take an overwhelming majority over Jesus' birth and the Nativity, Brad and I want to be intentional about how we celebrate Christmas with our son.

I have been excited to add a nativity calendar to our daily bedtime routine this month and am collecting ideas of other things to do with Jack as he gets older. One thing my family did when I was growing up was to have a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas Day. This was a fun reminder of what the day was really about. I am looking forward to continuing this tradition with Jack this year.

Any traditions or activities you do with your family to keep our focus on Jesus this Christmas season? I would love to hear your ideas!

UPDATE: After posting this last night, my sister sent me a link to this article. It is a great lesson on what I was talking about above...read if you have a few minutes.

post signature

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

We have an Advent book with devotionals and did you know type stuff that we read and light our Advent wreath. We also have a little Nativity in Hannah's room and I make sure to point out "Baby Jesus" as often as I can so that's what she'll grow to think of first.